Friday 13 September 2013

Opportunity

My last Blog ended saying that I found the way to do meditation.
Everything started because of something wrong. I wanted to go out running and the Ipod was out of batteries.
To that date, running was for me trying to keep fit and listen some music. Running=Ipod.
It always seemed impossible to me go away from that equation.

But that day everything changed.

I started listening to my body, myself breathing. And that was my mantra. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIN OOOOOOOOOOOOut. I could finally clean my mind. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOut.

That was great. Being able to clean my mind listening to my body. This is the great thing of a meditative (not competitive) running.
My "running passion" started from there. It started from a need (as most of the things that really work) and developed into my hobby.

And thanks to the hobby I found how much running was similar to my job.
Few points that will clear this concept
1st: You must know the "battlefield". Not knowing the track or the circuit will bring you to a bad distribution of your effort
2nd: You must know who you are and where are your strength. To properly distribute the effort you must know where you are good and where you can push
3rd: Control: listen to your body to see where you are and see if you can reach the target.
4th: Understand your weak points: look where you can improve and work on that weaknesses
5th: In a race you must know your opponents: never try to follow the others. Always run to the level that maximise your strenght according to who you are (and who you want to be).

This is what people should do if they need to go and look for OPPORTUNITIES for their business. Before investing any second (REMEMBER that time is the most valuable resource that we have) try to understand the battlefield, the competitors and your strenghts, understanding which is the problems you can solve.

I read a great book (in italian) that gives a nice description for that. It is the Art of war modified for the managers.
I am sure that there is also a similar version in English but, for the Italians or who speaks Italian, this is quite nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment